Among the most popular styles of jewelry today, are timeless birthstones. Not only can they add color and elegance to your outfit, but they also give meaning to your personality.
The use of birthstones in jewelry has existed since ancient times. Civilizations use gems in their jewelry. Each of them has a corresponding meaning and significance to the wearer. To fully understand these beautiful pieces of jewels, let's look closer at these birthstones and how they incorporate in your favorite jewelry.
Western traditions have mentioned the Breastplate of Aaron as the first indication that the stones in the breastplate are in the relationship with the twelve months of the year and the twelve zodiac signs.
Then in the eighth to ninth century, religious sects have appointed or assigned a particular stone to each Apostle based on a line from the book of Revelations. Because of this, it has become a tradition to wear one birthstone per month. But, recently, the use of birthstone have strayed far from this tradition.
In reality, people often wear them for taste, fashion, and beauty.
Twelve birthstones correspond to each month of the year. Here they are;
January - Garnet
- Garnet signifies true friendship and trust, making it a perfect gift for a friend.
- It came from a Latin word that means seed because it resembles a pomegranate seed
- Amethyst is a gem that ancient Greeks and Romans believed to be very useful in warding off the intoxicating powers of Bacchus, the god of wine and merrymaking
- It's known to symbolize royalty and enables the wearer to be clear-headed
- People used to believe that this gem can help protect sailors and assure a safe journey for them
- Its cool shade of blue makes it perfect to compliment your summer outfits
- It is also said to make the wearer feel calm
- Diamonds are known to be the hardest mineral on the planet, opposite talc.
- This gem is quite popular these days as a wedding or anniversary gift.
- Make sure to choose the best kind. Consider the cut and the radiance.
- It's a symbol of rebirth and good fortune
- It can also grant the wearer foresight and youth. A perfect for birthstone jewelry.
June – Pearl
- Ever since ancient times, pearls have adorned the jewelry pieces of the royalty.
- Pearls cultivated in living things instead of the mines, this gem is exceptional, and it also requires no polishing
- Known to guarantee health, wisdom, wealth and success in love
- A very durable gem, it's one of the hardest stone in the world, only below the diamond. Having this strength makes it perfect for everyday wear
- Known to have healing properties and can grant the wearer magical properties
- Can give the owner power and influence
- Can help protect your loved ones from envy and harm
- It is known to symbolize heaven and associated with gifts from God
October – Opal
- Probably the most mesmerizing stone of all the birthstone jewelry options, it comes in different colors. From white to black with flashes of blue, yellow, green, orange and red.
- Known as the healing quartz
- It's known to support health and vitality
December – Turquoise
- One of the oldest known gemstones
- Turquoise varying colors and transparency, from greenish blue to sky blue and from transparent to opaque.
Birthstones, aside from being beautiful, are filled with stories and traditions in them. So, if you want to make your next anniversary gift extra special, why not give them a jewelry piece with their birthstone. I'm sure they will appreciate it.
Debbie’s offers a variety of birthstones, and we are adding new pieces regularly.
Give that special someone an extra special birthday gift and don’t forget Mother’s Day. Shop Debbie’s Discount Jewelry’s collection for birth month rings, necklaces, and more.